Sport Premium Funding
What is the Sports Premium?
In April 2013 the Government announced new funding of £150 million for Physical Education (PE) and sport. This funding should be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and Sport provision. Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding to improve the quality and breadth of PE and Sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and Sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of.
As of 2017-18, the sport Premium has doubled and Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £16,000 and an additional payment of £10 per pupil.
At Oasis Academy Blakenhale we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of our students. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement all our students.
Through the academic year, we have employed a number of specialist coaches to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide a high quality/varied curriculum that covers: dance; movement, gymnastics and games
- To make health and fitness an integral part of the schools ethos and values
- To include children, staff, parents and the wider community in understanding the benefits of health and well-being
- To motivate, encourage, nurture and support the children in taking ownership of their own physical health, fitness and well-being
- To provide staff with high quality CPD opportunities to develop their skills and confidence in teaching Physical Education
- To develop intra-school competitions within the Oasis family of academies and the wider consortium
Our work to drive improvement in fitness and sport has been ongoing since the academic year 2015/2016, through collaboration with reputable sports coaches and our links with regional networks to share good practice. Our vision and aims are set within the context of a drive towards developing fundamental sport/fitness, values, skills and core tasks so they can be developed and mastered by the end of Year 2. This will allow the children to understand not only the physical benefits but moral, social (problem-solving), collaboration, resilience, confidence building and self-esteem that will also benefit their mental well-being.
We have built a culture whereby the positive impact that physical activity, a healthy lifestyle and involvement in sport can have on concentration levels, attendance, self-esteem and behaviour. This is recognised by staff, pupils and the wider community. We are embedding an ethos whereby different sports and enrichment activities can engage all learners across the wider curriculum and support equality and diversity.
All pupils leaving Oasis Blakenhale will be physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy, active lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
We will provide a measurable and sustained improvement in school PE and sport, underpinned by high-quality teaching that increases participation levels in physical activity, and leads to healthier pupils who are more engaged across the whole curriculum.
- To improve the quality of existing PE teaching through continuing professional development in PE for generalists, so that all primary pupils improve their health, skills and physical literacy, and have broader exposure to a range of sports.
- To increase participation levels in competitive sport and healthy activity of pupils, and maintain these into adolescence.
- School community to understand and value the benefits of high quality PE and sport, including its use as a tool for whole school improvement.
Above you will find our report for our Sports Premium Funding 2017/2018.
Key information included within the report includes:
- How much we recieved
- How we are spending the money this year
- How our premium programme has affected our pupil's PE and sport participation and attainment
- How we intend to ensure these improvements are sustainable.